Travis W. Montgomery
Travis W. Montgomery joined Bleeke Dillon Crandall in 2022 having developed a broad legal practice working directly with executives, managers, and other professionals to provide wide-ranging litigation services, transactional advice, and general counsel in industries including health care, municipal government, financial services, insurance, and telecommunications. Using his experience as a high school teacher in Washington, D.C., Travis offers clients simple and understandable explanations of complex legal issues and empowers them to become confident, knowledgeable, and active partners in the legal process.
Litigation and appellate work have always been Travis’s primary focus, and he applies his skill and experience in those areas to represent Bleeke Dillon Crandall clients at every stage of litigation. Travis has first-chair jury trial experience in both state and federal court and has authored or co-authored numerous appellate briefs for the Indiana Court of Appeals, Indiana Supreme Court, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Most of Travis’s cases involve defending physicians, nurses, long-term care providers, and other related entities from claims of malpractice or professional negligence. However, Travis also handles general insurance defense and coverage matters, complex commercial disputes, and labor and employment claims, and he has served as counsel in class action cases, shareholder derivative suits, and multi-district litigation. Outside of the traditional courtroom setting, Travis has represented management in labor arbitrations and administrative investigations and proceedings before the EEOC, Department of Labor, OSHA, and Indiana Department of Revenue.
Travis is a member of the Indianapolis Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute. He also provides pro bono services to the Southern District of Indiana’s Mediation Assistance Program, presents on various topics to both lawyer and non-lawyer groups, and visits area schools to share experience and advice with students considering a career in law.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Defense
- Professional Licensing
- General Insurance Defense & Coverage
- General Counsel—Health Care Providers & Governmental Entities
- State of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
- University of Miami (FL), B.A., Political Science and Sociology, 2003
- Kilburn-Winnie v. Town of Fortville, 891 F.3d 330 (7th 2018) (unanimously affirming trial court’s application of res judicata and entry of summary judgment in favor of municipal water utility in class action suit alleging Fourteenth Amendment due process violation).
- Town of Pittsboro Advisory Plan Commission v. Ark Park, LLC, 26 N.E.2d 110 (Ind. Ct. App. 2015) (reversing trial court’s refusal to dismiss developer’s petition for judicial review of zoning decision for failure to satisfy conditions precedent in zoning statute and failure to state a claim under Declaratory Judgment Act).
- Indiana Gas Company, Inc. v. Indiana Finance Authority, 999 N.E.2d 981 (Ind. 2013) (affirming IURC approval of contract created under Substitute Natural Gas Act allowing client to move forward on development of $.27 billion project).
- Marling Family Trust v. Allstate Insurance Company, 981 N.E.2d 85 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012) (invoking equitable lien doctrine to secure insurance policy proceeds for client as a pretermitted additional insured).
- OSHA Inspections: Employers’ Rights, Hitachi Cable America, Inc. Training Seminar (2019).
- Breaking Down the IntraMTA Litigation & Its Impact on Local Exchange Carriers, Indiana Fiber Network Seminar (2016).
- Understanding IOLTA & Related Ethical Considerations, Marion County Public Defender Agency’s Applied Professionalism for Newly Admitted Attorneys (2015).
- Emerging Topics in REMC Litigation: Labor Arbitration & Capital Credits in Bankruptcy, Parr Richey REMC Seminar (2015)
Honors and Awards
- Indiana Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2014-2020)
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award in Disability Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Pro Bono Activities
- Southern District of Indiana’s Mediation Assistance Program