J. Richard Moore defends individuals and businesses against lawsuits and liability claims, and assists clients in the development of strategic solutions to legal disputes and litigation risks.
Since 1996, Richard has defended professional liability claims against physicians, nurses, long-term care providers, architects, engineers, and attorneys; advised and represented businesses and insurers regarding large property losses, catastrophic casualty claims, complex insurance coverage questions, fraud and bad faith; and assisted in the resolution of a variety of business and commercial disputes.
Richard is licensed in Indiana, Alabama and Tennessee, and has also assisted in the assessment and handling of matters in Arkansas, Illinois, Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Mississippi and Georgia. He has represented clients in over 200 mediations, arbitrations and trials. Richard earned his undergraduate degree from Louisiana State University and obtained his law degree from Vanderbilt University. He is an active member of the Defense Research Institute, having served as Program Chair for the 2011 and 2012 DRI Nursing Home/ALF Litigation seminars and the 2013 DRI Sexual Torts seminar, in various leadership positions on the DRI Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee, and currently on DRI’s Law Institute.
Areas of Practice
- Health Care Law Advice and Counsel
- Defense of General and Professional Liability Claims
- Insurance Claims and Coverage
- Business Transactions and Disputes
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Louisiana State University
- “Thirst for Truth: Managing Dehydration Claims,” panel presentation at LTC Insurance ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, June 26, 2018
- "After Kevorkian: Assisted Suicide Is Alive and Growing," panel presentation at Defense Research Institute Long-Term Care/ALF Seminar, Scottsdale, AZ, September 8, 2016
- "How to Navigate the Waters of Client Relationships," presented at Defense Research Institute Medical Liability and Health Care Law Seminar, San Francisco, CA, March 8, 2015
- "Bringing It All Back Home," moderator of panel presented at Defense Research Institute Sexual Torts seminar, San Diego, CA, November 13, 2013
- "As the Boomers Age: Senior Living Liability Exposures Today," panel presentation at the Professional Liability Underwriting Society International Symposium, Chicago, IL, November 8, 2012
- "Defending the Punitive Damages Claim," presented at Defense Research Institute Long-Term Care/ALF Seminar, Chicago, IL, September 24, 2010.
- "Issues from Left Field in Defending Nursing Home Cases," presented at the Alabama Nursing Home Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Orange Beach, AL, May 1, 2010
- "Cutting Edge Long Term Care Motion Practice," presented at Defense Research Institute Long-Term Care/ALF seminar, Las Vegas, NV, September 27, 2007
- "The National Practitioner Data Bank: How Reporting Requirements Impact Case Resolution," co-authored with J. Bart McNeil, Esq., For the Defense, June 2010
- "Planning for Catastrophic Emergencies: What Can We Learn from Post-Katrina Government Investigations and Litigation?" For the Defense, June 2008
- "Handling the Apex Deposition Request," co-authored with Paul V. Lagarde, Esq., Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Winter 2007
- “The Doomed Direct Action Rule,” winner, 2000 Indiana Bar Association Harrison Legal Writing Award, Res Gestae, March 2001
- “Defending Against The Statements of Dead Witnesses,” co-authored with Matthew Kincaid, Esq., The Indiana Lawyer, June 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute, 1996 to present
- Law Institute, 2020-2022
- Medical and Health Care Law Committee Chair, 2018-2020; Vice Chair 2015-2017
- Program Chair, 2013 Sexual Torts Seminar, 2011 and 2012 Nursing Home/ALF Seminar
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, 2011 to present
- Sagamore Inn of Court, Barrister, 2018-present
- Indiana SuperLawyer: Medical Malpractice Defense, 2018-present
- The CLM (Claims and Litigation Management Alliance), 2018-present