Adoption is an exciting and rewarding time for the adoptive parents and the child involved. However, due to the complexities of Indiana adoption law and the importance of having the adoption done correctly, it is important to retain an experienced Indiana adoption lawyer. Working with an experienced attorney who understands the legal process and the emotions involved for adoptive parents as well as birth parents is important to ensure that the process is completed as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Whether you seek to adopt a child or you are an expectant mother looking to make an adoption plan for your child, Nathan A. Leach, of Bleeke Dillon Crandall in Indianapolis, Indiana, provides a welcoming and confidential environment in which to make these important decisions and puts all parties at ease. Attorney Nathan A. Leach has more than a decade of experience helping adoptive parents, family members and birth mothers throughout Indiana with a wide range of adoptions, including:
- Newborn adoptions — We help adoptive parents and expectant mothers navigate the process and obtain all resources that are available to assist them. We help expectant mothers who want to find safe, stable and loving homes for their children.
- Private adoptions — We help adoptive parents who have located a child to adopt without assistance from a licensed adoption agency finalize their adoption in accordance with Indiana law.
Stepparent adoptions — Beyond the reason of strengthening a stepparent-stepchild relationship, stepparent adoption may make sense for financial reasons and to provide additional security to the child.
- Kinship adoptions — When a child's biological parents are not able to care for the child, another relative such as a grandparent or aunt may provide care and seek to have the relationship recognized legally through adoption.
- Second parent adoptions — A second parent adoption occurs when the non-biological parent in a same-sex relationship wants to adopt the child of his or her partner or spouse.
- Interstate adoptions — When adoption involves a child who resides in a different state than the adopting parents, the adoption becomes more complex. Among other things, the adoption must be performed in compliance with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC). We help our clients navigate the additional legal steps that must be completed in interstate adoption so as to avoid potential liabilities and ensure that the adoption is not later jeopardized.
- Domestications and Readoptions — Adopting a child from another country requires numerous steps in the child's home country. However, it is equally important to obtain an order to recognize a foreign adoption in Indiana. We help our clients complete both parts of this process.
- Foster care adoptions – The adoption of a child in foster care frequently involves steps and procedures not commonly found in other adoptions. Our firm regularly represents foster parents who want to provide a "forever home" to their child, and we work with the Indiana Department of Child Services to obtain these results, including the negotiation of any available subsidies for the child.
- Contested adoptions — A contested adoption occurs when a legal parent objects to the adoption and the adoptive parents litigate the case to continue with the adoption process. We have substantial experience analyzing the grounds to proceed with the adoption over the objection of the legal parent and litigating the matter to resolution.
A Lawyer Who Focuses Almost Entirely On Adoption
It is important to note that attorney Leach doesn't "dabble" in adoption between work on cases in other practice areas. The majority of his cases are centered on adoption. He is a lawyer who brings a caring and thoughtful approach to each adoption based on that client's unique needs.
We invite you to explore our adoption services more completely on Nate's website, IndianaAdoptionLawyer.com. We are happy to answer your questions during a free consultation. Call 317-567-2222 or use our online contact form to schedule an appointment. All information is shared in complete confidence.